Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Anderson Regional Airport
The first municipal airport in Anderson was just a grassy field located near where the Civic Center now stands. An historical marker notes the site where Amelia Earhart landed there on November 14, 1931.
In the early 1930s land was purchased from J. Roy Pennell to create the current airport During World War II the grass airship was paved and served pilots learning tactical bombing techniques. Samuel L. "Dean" Prince, a former Dean of the University of South Carolina School of Law, served as General Chairman of the Anderson Airport Dedication Committee in 1938.
A native born Andersonian and aviator, Ben F. Johnson, Jr., began flying in 1936 and taught many to fly during over 50 years in the aviation field. He was affectionately known as "Mr. Anderson Airport".
On December 7, 1998, in an effort to convey to the public the extent of the airport's impact on the Upstate, the name was changed from "Anderson County Airport" to "Anderson Regional Airport".
Erected 1999 by Anderson County Council and the Anderson County Museum Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is Air & Space. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1891.
Location. 34° 29.667′ N, 82° 42.767′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on Airport Road, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5805 Airport Road, Anderson SC 29626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Monument (approx. 2½ miles away); Bolt-Bell House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dr. Samuel Marshall Orr House (approx. 3 miles away); R J Ginn House (approx. 3 miles away); Cathcart-Schonauer House (approx. 3 miles away); Gambrill House (approx. 3 miles away); Site of Rose Hill -- 1794 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Anderson County Veterans Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away); Westview Cemetery World War Casualties Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Anderson Regional Airport. Anderson Regional Airport (IATA: AND, ICAO: KAND) is a public airport located 3 miles (5 km) southwest of the city of Anderson, in Anderson County, South Carolina. (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Samuel Lander Prince. Beloved Dean of the University of South Carolina Law School from (Submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.