Kissimmee in Osceola County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Osceola County was created in May, 1887 from portions of Orange and Brevard Counties. One of its sponsors was Senator J. Milton Bryan, who suggested the new county be named for Osceola, the great Seminole warrior. The new county was Florida's fortieth and had 815 citizens. Kissimmee was named the county seat. In 1889, Osceola citizens voted a $30,000 bond issue to build this Romanesque Revival style courthouse, which has remained in daily use since 1890. It's significance was recognized by its listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Osceola is Florida's sixth largest county. It has a rich history of cattle raising extending back to the days of the Seminole Indians. Other landmarks in county agricultural and economic history include the rise and decline of Hamilton Disston's Land and sugar empire, steamboating, and lumbering. Cattle and agriculture remain Osceola County's economic bulwarks, although it has experienced growth in manufacturing and tourism since the late 1960s.
Erected 1983 by Kissimmee Business and Professional Women's Club in cooperation
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1887.
Location. 28° 17.492′ N, 81° 24.681′ W. Marker is in Kissimmee, Florida, in Osceola County. Marker is on West Emmett Street (U.S. 17) east of South Rose Avenue, on the right when traveling east. The marker, while viewable from West Emmett Street, is set back from the curb - approximately halfway between the street and the Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3 Courthouse Square, Kissimmee FL 34741, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hamilton Disston Sugar Plantation (approx. 7.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Library (approx. 8.3 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic Building (approx. 8.3 miles away); Fisk Funeral Home (approx. 8.3 miles away); Sugar Belt Railway/VFW Post (approx. 8.3 miles away); Hunter Arms Hotel (approx. 8.3 miles away); First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4. submitted on October 29, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.