Greensboro in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Christian Isley House
Originally located in eastern Guilford County this one-and-a-half story structure was the home of Christian and Mary Isley. Like other German families, the Isleys migrated to North Carolina from Pennsylvania. In 1788 they purchased approximately 300 acres of land along Rock Creek. When Christian Isley died 1845 the property was divided between his wife and their thirteen children.
In 1972, the museum purchased the house and moved it from its original location at Bethel Church Road. The central field stone chimney and foundation were carefully taken apart and reassembled. The house's exterior walls were constructed with hand-hewn, v-notched oak logs. The original logs and the chinking and daubing--the materials used to fill the spaces between the logs--have been replaced. The summ beam, the 30-foot poplar log that supports the upper floor, is thought to be original.
Erected by Greensboro Historical Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1788.
Location. 36° 4.53′ N, 79° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro NC 27401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francis McNairy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward R. Murrow (within shouting distance of this marker); Lindsay Street School (within shouting distance of this marker); O Henry's Family (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richardson Civic Center (about 500 feet away); Confederate Hospital (about 500 feet away); Sit-Ins (approx. Ό mile away); Greensboro Law School (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
Also see . . . Greensboro Historical Museum. (Submitted on April 3, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 860 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 3, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.