New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South-Central)
Gardette - Le Pretre House
Joseph Coulon Gardette, Dentist
Frederic Roy, Builder
The cast iron galleries were added by
Jean Baptiste Le Pretre, Planter
who purchased the house in 1839 and
owned it until 1878.
Here on June 2, 1861 part of
the captured flagstaff of Fort Sumter
sent by Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard C.S.A.
was ceremoniously presented to
The Orleans Guards
Location. 29° 57.57′ N, 90° 3.972′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Dauphine Street near Orleans Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 716 Dauphine Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. My Bourbon Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Peter Guest House (about 500 feet away); Campanel Cottage (about 500 feet away); Plique – La Branche House (about 500 feet away); Creole Cottage c. 1810 (about 500 feet away); Former site of Holy Family Sisters’ Convent Pat O’Brien’s (about 600 feet away); The French Opera House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Also see . . . Real Ghosts of New Orleans. In 1839 Jean Baptiste Le Pretre bought this 1836 Greek Revival house at 716 Dauphine St. and added the romantic cast-iron galleries. The house is the subject of a real-life horror story: Sometime in the 19th century, a Turk, supposedly the brother of a sultan, arrived in New Orleans and rented the Le Pretre house. He was conspicuously wealthy, and his entourage included many servants and more than a few beautiful young girls -- all thought to have been stolen from the sultan.... (Submitted on April 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Gardette - Le Pretre House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 773 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.