Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1885, the first Georgetown school was located at the northeast corner of Seventh and Cypress Avenue. It was founded with $100 from the school board. Mr. McLester was the first principal, followed by Mr. Reed and later by Mr. J. N. Crooms, who founded Crooms Academy.
Some of the first Sanford businesses owned by black settlers were in Tuckertown, which would later become the business district of Georgetown. In 1887, there were twenty-eight registered voters. Between 1887 and 1923 Georgetown supported five barbers, a blacksmith, a butcher, a dentist, five dress makers, two draymen, seven farmers, a general store, three dry goods and millinery, five hand laundries, three insurance agents, a jeweler, seven medical doctors, two pharmacists, five postal workers, three realtors, three restaurant owners, five taxi drivers, a theater, undertakers,
Family roots were planted and today the properties of many early settlers are still owned by the second and third generations. This community bonded families and persons into building a neighborhood for the future.
Georgetown's landmarks include St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by Tuskeegee trained builder Prince W. Spears.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 28° 48.13′ N, 81° 15.762′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Pine Avenue north of Celery Avenue (County Road 415), on the right when traveling north. The marker stands in front of a large, wooden, former school house, the old Hopper Academy. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 Pine Avenue, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student Museum (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Reid (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Imperial Opera House Sanford State Farmers' Market (approx. 0.7 miles away); The E. E. Brady Livery Stable (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Whalers Saloon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Henry Shelton Sanford (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
More about this marker. The double-sided marker is capped on both sides with the Seminole County Historic Marker logo.
Regarding Georgetown. Founded in 1926 in the nearby African American town of Goldsboro, Crooms Academy was Seminole County's high school for African American students. It continued in this capacity until schools were desegregated in 1970. Today, it is Crooms Academy of Information Technology, a technology magnet school.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . History of Crooms Academy. from the official school website (Submitted on April 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.