Marysville in Yuba County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
First Yuba County Courthouse
1855 – 1962
Erected 1993 by Marysville Parlor No. 162, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Marysville Lions Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 39° 8.486′ N, 121° 35.349′ W. Marker is in Marysville, California, in Yuba County. Marker is at the intersection of D Street and 6th Street, on the right when traveling north on D Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 527 D Street, Marysville CA 95901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. José Manuel Ramírez Rosales (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beckwourth Trail – Marysville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yuba County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ellis Lake (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historical Monument of Macy’s (approx. New Mecklenberg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mission Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lord Sholto Douglas (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marysville.
Regarding First Yuba County Courthouse. California’s second courthouse was built in Marysville in 1854 at the cost of $54,000. It was torn down in the early 1960’s. In the 1990’s, this bronze monument was erected to mark the “home court” of attorneys like Stephen J. Field, who went on to become the longest sitting judge on the United States Supreme Court.
Source: Visit Yuba-Sutter Walking Tour
Also see . . .
1. First Yuba County Courthouse. The building in Marysville served the county for 107 years until 1962, when the courts moved to a more modern facility. The old courthouse was razed the following year. (Submitted on April 8, 2012.)
2. History of the Yuba County Courts. The first actual court proceeding took place on January 26, 1850. It is believed that the session was held in the old adobe building which was located on the banks of the Yuba River and was the headquarters of the proprietors of the area of Marysville. The judge who presided over the proceedings was one R. A. Wilson, who was the judge of the Criminal Court of the First Instance, Sacramento District. (Submitted on April 8, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.