Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Prince Frederick in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Wallville School

ca. 1880-1934

 
 
Old Wallville School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ben Sturgis, April 12, 2012
1. Old Wallville School Marker
Inscription.  Oldest standing one-room schoolhouse for African American students in Calvert County. Offered education for grades 1-7 in the Wallville community. Illustrates the segregated educational facilities of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Moved in 2006 to current site for preservation and reconstruction.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 38° 33.152′ N, 76° 34.158′ W. Marker is near Prince Frederick, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Dares Beach Road (Maryland Route 402) 1.2 miles east of Maryland 2/4, on the left when traveling east. On the grounds of the Calvert Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prince Frederick MD 20678, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. S. Brooks High School (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arthur Storer Planetarium (approx. 0.7 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Veterans Green (approx. 1.2 miles away); Panic in Prince Frederick
Old Wallville School image. Click for full size.
By Ben Sturgis, April 12, 2012
2. Old Wallville School
(approx. 1.2 miles away); Prince Frederick Library “Firsts” (approx. 1.4 miles away); Joseph & James Wilkinson (approx. 1.7 miles away); St. John’s Holiness Church (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prince Frederick.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Old Wallville School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Ben Sturgis of Huntingtown, Maryland. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Ben Sturgis of Huntingtown, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement