Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This Is Why Itís Called Sandy Hook!
Fort Hancock was built on sand. To stabilize the ground, topsoil was imported in the early 1900s. A layer of earth several inches deep was added to the parade ground and to other areas around the post.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 37.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts or Castles. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 27.566′ N, 74° 0.169′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Magruder Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. It can be seen on a walking trail by the parade grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New York Yankees vs. Hometown Sluggers (within shouting distance of this marker); Sandy Hook Barracks Building #22 Built 1899 NOAA Fisheries Service (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Company, Attention! (about 500 feet away); Chow Time! (about 500 feet away); Lighting the Way (about 500 feet away); Fillíer Up! (about 600 feet away); Handball Court (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of buildings in Fort Hancock, “The row of buildings was built in 1889 and photographed about 1900.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.