Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Eighteen houses comprise Officers Row; each was home to an officer and his family. Traditionally, officers’ homes faced toward the parade ground. Here however, army architects placed them facing Sandy Hook Bay to take advantage of the cool summer breezes and the splendid evening sunsets.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.867′ N, 74° 0.349′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kessler Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire House Number 1 (within shouting Mule Barn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baked Fresh Daily! (about 300 feet away); Rodman Gun (about 300 feet away); Protecting American Coasts (about 300 feet away); History House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1962 of the houses on Officers Row. These houses were built in 1889. A photo at the bottom right of the marker shows “An officer’s family in the 1940s.”
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Officers Row.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.