Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hasty Additions in Wartime
When World War II began in Europe in 1939, the U.S. Army numbered 175,000 men. By the time of Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the army had swelled to over 1.5 million. To accommodate this influx, temporary wooden “mobilization” building like these were built at forts across the nation. Today, these buildings are residences for National Park Service staff. Please respect their privacy.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 22.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1941.
Location. 40° 27.976′ N, 74° 0.365′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kearney Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Barracks, School, Headquarters (a few steps from this marker); Proving Ground Foreman’s House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rodman Gun (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Rodman Gun (about 400 feet away); Mule Barn (about 500 feet away); Fire House Number 1 (about 500 feet away); 200 Years of Service (about 500 feet away); Protecting American Coasts (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photograph of soldiers relaxing in the barracks. It has a caption of “(Left to right) Corporals Lewkowicz and Sclafani, Sgt. Bielecky, and 1st Sgt. Masone of the 7th Coast Artillery Regiment, 1943.” A photo of the barracks at the upper right of the marker includes the caption “Pictured here in 1941, the barracks were built between 1940 and 1942.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.