Sonoma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Duhring Building – 1891
Erected 1985 by Sam Brannan Chapter #1004 E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 38° 17.511′ N, 122° 27.393′ W. Marker is in Sonoma, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from East Napa Street near First Street East. Address of building is 498 First Street East, however marker is located on the East Napa Street side of building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sonoma CA 95476, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other The Poppe-Parmelee Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonoma Valley Women’s Club (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Raising of the Bear Flag Monument (about 500 feet away); Vasquez House (about 500 feet away); Nash-Patton Adobe (about 600 feet away); Site of Union Hotel and Union Hall (about 600 feet away); Blue Wing Inn (about 700 feet away); Sonoma Barracks (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonoma.
1. Duhring General Store
An early morning fire in October 1990 completely destroyed the original building on this site. Through the efforts of the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation and donations from the citizens of Sonoma, the façade, using the original bricks, was completely restored to its former appearance.
From about 1849, an adobe building was on this site. It was purchased by Frederick Duhring in 1879, and operated as the Duhring Clothing Store and agency for Wells Fargo and Company. In 1891 he built the brick building (that was destroyed by fire nearly a hundred years later) and operated it as a general store.
Designed by A.C. Lutgens, who also designed City Hall, the original building, as does its replacement, features a short tower a the corner
After the building burned, all of the bricks were taken to the City Corporation Yard where the mortar was removed, by hand, by members of the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation so the same bricks could be used when the building was restored.
Source: Sonoma Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted January 14, 2009.
2. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Carl Schoelles was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Loren A. Wilson
— Submitted April 22, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on April 23, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5, 6. submitted on April 17, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.