Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Arlington Post Office
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia
Erected by Arlington County, Virginina.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 38° 53.145′ N, 77° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arlington County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Legion Memorial of Arlington (about 300 feet away); Old Ball Family Burial Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Maury School (approx. half a mile away); Fort Cass (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rockwell Field (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Whipple (approx. 0.7 miles away); John C. McKinney Memorial Stables (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
1. Error in marker
The marker contains the following statement: "Built in 1937, the Arlington post office was the first federal building constructed in the county."
This statement is not correct. The first federal buildings constructed in Arlington probably were within the county's Civil War forts and in Freedman's Village. Federal buildings constructed in the county before 1937 still remain standing in Arlington National Cemetery (including the Cemetery's first administration building and a building adjacent to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier), in the Fort Myer Historic District (including a number of officers' residences and the former Post hospital) and in Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (the Abingdon Research Center building).
— Submitted March 2, 2014, by Bernard H. Berne of Arlington, Virginia.
Additional keywords. USPS
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.