Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Pima County Courthouse
Erected by Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail, and the National Historic Landmarks series lists.
Location. 32° 13.388′ N, 110° 58.394′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from Church Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson (within shouting distance of this marker); Convent Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennington Footbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de las Armas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Exchange at the Presidio (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
Regarding Pima County Courthouse. This site is #3 on the Stroll Historic Downtown Tucson Walking Tour.
"This beautiful Spanish Colonial and moorish styled landmark was the project of a famous Tucson architect, Roy Place and was built in 1929. The dome is capped with mosaic tiles. Through the courtyard which is part of this structure runs the location of the east wall of the original Presidio.
The first courthouse was built in 1868 as a one story adobe building. Just the year before, Tucson had been named the capital of the
Regarding Pima County Courthouse.
Pima County Courthouse is #2 on the Presidio Trail Walking Tour.
The description reads:
“Built in 1929 in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, this building features a beautiful mosaic-tiled dome and elegant courtyard. The east wall of the presidio (Stop No. 1) is marked with a granite strip in the red tile walkway inside the courtyard. An actual piece of the original presidio wall can be seen in the Assessor’s Office on the south side of the courtyard.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2009, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,541 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on May 10, 2012, by Carri Nazos of Tucson, Arizona. Photos: 1. submitted on December 30, 2009, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 4, 5. submitted on December 30, 2009, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6. submitted on December 31, 2009, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 7. submitted on June 11, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.