Belding in Ionia County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Pere Marquette Railway Depot
Completed in 1923 for the Pere Marquette Railway, this depot is typical of the railroad stations that served Michigan towns during the early decades of the twentieth century. The depot replaced an earlier, wood frame station built during the 1880s when passenger service was introduced by the Detroit, Lansing, and Northern Railroad. By 1900 nineteen passenger trains passed through Belding each day except Sunday. Passenger service ceased in 1941. In 1994 the city of Belding purchased the building. With funds from the Michigan Department of Transportation, the city renovated the depot as offices. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number 2050.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 43° 5.923′ N, 85° 13.744′ W. Marker is in Belding, Michigan, in Ionia CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Depot Street, Belding MI 48809, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alvah N. Belding Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belrockton Dormitory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smyrna (approx. 3.2 miles away); Greenville (approx. 5.9 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 8.4 miles away); Fallasburg Pioneer Village (approx. 9.3 miles away); John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belding.
Also see . . . Pere Marquette Railway Belding Depot. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 782 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.