Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belding in Ionia County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Alvah N. Belding Library

Registered Michigan Historic Site

 
 
Alvah N. Belding Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cameron Zwart, May 5, 2012
1. Alvah N. Belding Library Marker
Inscription.  
Alvah N. Belding erected this library in 1917/18 as a memorial to his parents, Hiram and Mary Wilson Belding. Alvah and his brother Hiram began peddling silk around Belding (then Patterson's Mills) in 1858. With the help of their brother Milo they began the internationally known Belding Bros. & Company in 1863. Michigan's first silk mill was erected here in 1886 and operated until 1932. This library, which cost $50,000, was dedicated and presented to the City of Belding on May 14, 1918. It is the only structure built by the Beldings still being used for its original purpose. An example of Classical Revival architecture, the limestone structure features a Spanish-tile roof. Its interior contains trim of marble oak and pine.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 816.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkEducationIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1906.
 
Location.
Alvah N. Belding Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cameron Zwart, May 5, 2012
2. Alvah N. Belding Library
Click or scan to see
this page online
43° 5.875′ N, 85° 13.577′ W. Marker is in Belding, Michigan, in Ionia County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Hanover Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 E Main St, Belding MI 48809, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belrockton Dormitory (within shouting distance of this marker); Pere Marquette Railway Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smyrna (approx. 3.3 miles away); Greenville (approx. 6 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 8½ miles away); Fallasburg Pioneer Village (approx. 9.3 miles away); John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belding.
 
Also see . . .  Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library. Library website homepage (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 514 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=55243

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 28, 2022