Near Hamilton in Hancock County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Welcome to Illinois
U.S. Route 136 enters Illinois at Hamilton, north of Warsaw, the site of Fort Edwards erected during the War of 1812 to counter British influence at Rock Island. It proceeds east through Carthage where, in 1844, the jailed Mormon leader Joseph Smith was killed defending himself from an angry mob. The highway crosses the Illinois River at Havana and runs east passing north of Lincoln, Illinois, the site of the reconstructed Postville Court House where Abraham Lincoln practiced law. Route 136 passes south of Funks Grove named for Isaac Funk one of a group of farmers who raised large herds of cattle for shipment to eastern markets.
Erected 1988 by Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 23.812′ N, 91° 21.101′ W. Marker is near Hamilton, Illinois, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Keokuk Street (U.S. 136) and Illinois Route 96, on the left when traveling east on Keokuk Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton IL 62341, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Estes House (approx. 1.7 miles away in Iowa); First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Iowa (approx. 1.7 miles away in Iowa); National Association for Music Education (approx. 1.7 miles away in Iowa); Thy Wondrous Story, Illinois (approx. 3.8 miles away); The First Fort Des Moines (approx. 9.9 miles away in Iowa); Here Began the Dragoon Trail (approx. 9.9 miles away in Iowa); Nauvoo, Illinois (approx. 10 miles away); Nauvoo House (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to Illinois.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 442 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.