York in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Barnett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1945 / Bennett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1938
This site was the winter quarters of the Barnett Brothers Circus, briefly known as the Wallace Brothers Circus, from 1929 through 1945. Founded by Ray W. Rogers (1889 ~ 1946), the circus was one of the first to travel by truck instead of by train. That freedom helped it succeed during the Depression and World War II. It began its tour each March or April with a performance in York, then returned in November.
A highlight of the York Christmas parade was Santa Claus riding an elephant. In 1929 five sons of C.P. and Olive Bennett, living nearby, started their own circus with encouragement from Ray Rogers, who loaned them his big top and a few animals. All six Bennett sons and two daughters participated, along with other local children. Their circus performed in York, Rock Hill, Clover, and Sharon through 1938.
Erected 2012 by The Yorkville Historical Society. (Marker Number 46-51.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 34° 59.496′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: York SC 29745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity M. E. Church, South (about 700 feet away); York County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic York (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Yorkville / Town of York (approx. ¼ mile away); York County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); David E. Finley Birthplace (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,135 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.