Fayetteville in Fayette County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
* Born in Dutchess, NY
* Soldier in the American Revolutionary War 1776-1781
* Married Mary Dillon 1780
* Father of Eight Children
* Early Fayetteville Settler
* In 1812 Abraham purchased 200 acres, including the present site of Fayetteville
New York native Abraham Vandal settled Fayetteville or Vandalia around 1812. Historians believe his cabin was located on the present site of the Fayette County National Bank.
In 1834, Vandal gave the county the lot, located near a dead chestnut tree in a rye field, for the courthouse. Since the construction of the first courthouse in 1838, three subsequent buildings have shared the same site.
Fayette County and its seat of government, Fayetteville, both take their names from the French statesman and friend of the American Revolution, the Marquis de Lafayette.
Vandal died on November 12, 1848, and is buried in the Westlake Cemetery at Ansted.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 38° 3.19′ N, 81° 6.244′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, West Virginia, in Fayette County. Marker is on North Court Street (West Virginia Route 16). In front of the Fayette County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville WV 25840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fayetteville (here, next to this marker); Battle of Fayetteville (a few steps from this marker); Marquis de Lafayette (within shouting distance of this marker); Vandalia Cemetery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Fayetteville (about 800 feet away); Fayetteville Town Park (approx. half a mile away); Indirect Firing (approx. 1.1 miles away); Townsend's Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2012, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 780 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2012, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.