Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort D.A. Russell
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1978.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, World I. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1946.
Location. 30° 18.247′ N, 104° 1.446′ W. Marker is in Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is at the intersection of West Madrid Street and South Hill Street, on the left when traveling west on West Madrid Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blackwell School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Building 98, Fort D. A. Russell Humphris-Humphreys House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hunter Gymnasium (approx. 0.6 miles away); El Paisano Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Presidio County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); James Buchanan Gillett (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marfa.
Regarding Fort D.A. Russell. Much remains of Fort D.A. Russell. Many of the quarters for officers and non-commissioned officers are still occupied. The post has a somewhat confusing layout and it is easy to become disoriented. There is no interpretive signage or maps to assist the visitor. There is, however, and excellent book, “Soldiering at Marfa, Texas 1911-1945” by B.T. Davenport [ISBN: 0-7392-0195-6] which is an exceptionally well written account of the fort’s history supplemented with photos and superb maps.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on June 9, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.