Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
West Wisconsin Avenue
The Mitchell mansion was originally built as a modest brick house. During the 1870s Edward Townsend Mix, the city’s leading architect, transformed the Italianate residence into a French Second Empire mansion. Constructed of cream city brick, the remodeling added a third story with a straight mansard roof and a four-story tower. A gazebo, fountain and horticultural conservatory were also added.
Before a 60-foot bluff at 8th street was cut down, the upper and lower streets that became Wisconsin Avenue were laid out with no thought of connecting. When the street improvement finally came, the two sections did not match up. The land in
Civil War Monument (1898) called The Victorious Charge: This bronze group of four soldiers, cast in Rome, is dedicated to “those who fought in the War for the Union.” When a local art patron failed to raise the needed funds for the monument, Captain Frederick Pabst paid the balance.
Carnival Column with Sphere (1900): This 65-foot Corinthian column with a sphere on top commemorates the week-long carnival held in Milwaukee during the administration of Mayor David Rose. The eagle pictured atop the sphere was identical to those above the public library entrance.
Memorial to Spanish-American War Veterans (1932): This monument was commissioned by veterans of the Spanish-American War as a tribute to their comrades.
George Washington Statue (1885): This bronze statue of Washington is said to be the first west of New York and is probably Milwaukee’s oldest public monument. The first sculpture placed in the Court of Honor, it was donated by Elizabeth Plankinton, daughter of Milwaukee meat packer John Plankinton.
Calvary Presbyterian church (completed in 1872), a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture listed on state and national historic registers, was designed by master Milwaukee architect Henry C. Koch
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 43° 2.314′ N, 87° 55.403′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wisconsin Avenue and North 10th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Wisconsin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 915 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee WI 53233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint James Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Historic Milwaukee (about 300 feet away); Mabel Wanda Raimey (about 700 feet away); B'Ne Jeshurun Synagogue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milwaukee's Last Operating Tower Clock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roman Catholic Church of the Gesu (approx. 0.2 miles away); MacArthur Square (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Also see . . . History of the Mitchell mansion and the Wisconsin Club. (Submitted on June 15, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on June 14, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 13. submitted on November 16, 2014. 14. submitted on June 14, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.