Near Leming in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Battle of Medina
Bernardo Gutiérrez and Lt. A.W. Magee marched from Louisiana to Texas in 1812 with their Republican Army of the North. Capturing Nacogdoches and Trinidad, they moved on to Presidio La Bahía, where they survived a four-month siege by Spanish governors and their Royalist forces. The Royalists retreated toward San Antonio in February 1813, and in March the Republican Army followed them and was ambushed in the Battle of Rosillo. The Republicans persevered, captured San Antonio and executed the Spanish governors. Gutiérrez's new Republic of Texas, with its green flag, was marked by internal political problems.
Spain sent troops under Gen. Joaquín de Arredondo to retake Texas. Among his men was Antonio Lopez de Santa
Erected 2005 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 13310.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • War of 1812.
Location. 29° 6.53′ N, 98° 32.32′ W. Marker is near Leming, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Applewhite Road and Bruce Road on Old Applewhite Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leming TX 78050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Poteet (approx. 5½ miles away); Brite Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 8.3 miles away); Site of San Augustine Church (approx. 8.9 miles away); Rossville (approx. 9 miles away); Verdi (approx. 9.4 miles away); Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leming.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 979 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.