Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond, Estonia
Aerial photo of the castle and surroundings
Text in Estonian : …
Text in English:
Toompea Castle is the seat of the Parliament of the Republic of Estonia – the Riigikogu
The castle complex is made up of several parts: the west wall and the Tall Hermann tower belongs to the medieval fortress of the Order of the Brothers of the Sword, the Government Administration building represents the Czarist era and is classic in style, and the building of the Riigikogu, in the castle courtyard, was built in the beginning of the 1920s.
It is known that already in the 9th century there was an ancient Estonian wooden fortress on Toompea, which was conquered by the Danes in 1219. From then on until the first decades of the 20th century, Toompea belonged to various foreign rulers. In 1710 the ownership of Toompea was changed from Swedish one to the Russian Czarist Empire. The Russian Empress Catherine the Great ordered the construction of the Estonian Government Administration building in the east side of the fortress; it was completed in 1773.
On 24 February 1918,
Erected by City of Tallinn.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Forts or Castles • Government & Politics.
Location. 59° 26.085′ N, 24° 44.348′ E. Marker is in Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond. Marker is at the intersection of Lossi Plats/Toompea and Komandandi Tee on Lossi Plats/Toompea. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond 10136, Estonia. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Residence of Konstantin Päts (approx. 0.3 kilometers away in Harju maakond); The Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Tallinn Town Hall - Anno 1404 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Suurgildi Hoone (approx. half a kilometer away); Mustpeade Maja British Royal Navy in the Estonian War of Independence (approx. one kilometer away); Polish Submarine "ORZEŁ" - September 1939 (approx. one kilometer away in Harju maakond); Mälestusmärk “Katkenud Liin” / “Broken Line” (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallinn.
Additional keywords. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 1, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.