The Wedding of the Rose and the Lotus
This painting by Nicholas Vachel Lindsay (1879-1931), entitled "The Wedding of the Rose and the Lotus" was a companion piece to one of Lindsay's poems. Lindsay recited the poem in 1915 for President Woodrow Wilson's Cabinet to commemorate the opening of the Panama Canal. Lindsay won acceptance and appreciation through his writing and performances and blazed the way for a new period in American poetry. Lindsay was born and died in his Springfield home which is located next door to the Governor's Mansion at the corner of Fifth and Edwards. The home originally occupied by Ann Smith, sister of Mary Todd Lincoln, is owned and maintained by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.
this reproduction was donated and produced by Ace Sign Co. October 8, 1997, in cooperation with Portraiture by Morgan and Downtown Springfield Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music.
Location. 39° 48.124′ N, 89° 38.967′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker is on 5th Street. Between East Jefferson
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stuart and Lincoln Law Office (here, next to this marker); Streetscape 1859 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln's Last Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Joshua Speed's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Brunwick's Billiard Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Surveyor Presidents (about 300 feet away); Mary Lincoln's Ring (about 400 feet away); Lincoln's Hat (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Also see . . . The Wedding of the Rose and the Lotus. (Submitted on July 6, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.