Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Market Square
Appomattox Point & the Indian Trade
In the 1600s, just north of the present day market, the Appomattox River took a sharp turn around a horn of land known as Appomattox Point. The Quaker Indian traders Robert Hix and John Evans set up a trading post there in the late seventeenth century. They were later joined by Richard Jones, the son of Peter Jones who established the trading post a block to the west of here. Jones inherited this land from his grandfather, Abraham Wood, the commander of Fort Henry. Wood had a monopoly on the Indian trade until Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676, and during that time had led or dispatched from Fort Henry the most important seventeenth-century explorations in British North America. Fort Henry and Appomattox Point anchored the northern end of the trading path that led southward to the Nottoway, Meherrin, and Tuscarora Indians, and connected just to the west to the trading path that led southwestward to Hillsborough, North Carolina, home of the Cherokees and the Catawbas. In the early 18th century, as increased settlement pushed the colonial frontier westward and southward, trade with the Indians
When Richard Jones moved away in 1705, he sold this land to the well-placed and ambitious Robert Bolling, who, around 1716, constructed, on this spot, a “rolling house” (a tobacco warehouse to which huge hogsheads of tobacco were literally rolled, often for forty to sixty miles). In 1730, the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation ordering that all tobacco intended for export had to be inspected at official inspections (owned by private individuals but manned by inspectors employed by the colony). Bolling’s Appomattox Point Inspection was among the first designated colonial inspections. The opening of southern Virginia and northern North Carolina to settlement in the earIy-to-mid-18th century made the Petersburg area the center of the North American tobacco trade. There were six others within a half mile, but Appomattox Point became the best-known inspection in all of Virginia. Its store of tobacco was burned by the British during the American Revolution in 1781, and it was eventually closed after a second fire in 1783.
A Gift to the City
This site had probably seen informal use as a market, when in 1791, Robert Bolling and the City agreed that it was to be used, “in perpetuity,” as a market free of charge to the vendor,
The Square was defined in 1808, when Cockade Alley was laid out on the eastern edge, and in 1815, when the new market buildings were pulled back to the north, allowing the extension of Old Street eastward to Cockade Alley. Rock Street and River Street were ancient roads. Soon the periphery of the square was entirely surrounded by brick buildings with market-related stores and shops below and dwellings above. In 1854, the South Side Depot replaced the buildings on the northern periphery, and most of the remaining buildings were removed in the third quarter of the twentieth century. In 1977, the McIlwaine House was saved from destruction by being moved to the eastern periphery of the square, and has housed Petersburg’s Visitor Center since 1986. The Petersburg Area Art League has occupied the buildings on Rock Street since the early 1980s.
Erected by City of Petersburg and the Cameron Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. Marker has been reported damaged. 37° 13.991′ N, 77° 24.265′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Old Street and Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 E Old St, Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Petersburg’s Old Towne (here, next to this marker); Touring Old Towne (here, next to this marker); Petersburg’s Natural Parks (here, next to this marker); Petersburg National Battlefield (here, next to this marker); City Sights (here, next to this marker); Pamplin Historical Park (here, next to this marker); Petersburg Region (here, next to this marker); Architectural Heritage (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
More about this marker. The marker contains several photographs with the captions:
Above: an aerial photograph of Market Square taken before the tornado in 1993. Below: the same area on the F.W. Beers “Topographical Map of Petersburg,” published in 1877.
Above: an old postcard of the Farmers Market. Right: an elevation of the Farmers Market drawn by architects working for the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1968.
Below: insurance survey of Market Square from 1885, with arrows showing the point of view of the old photos.
An old view of Market Square. The buildings on the right side of the photo have been replaced by the parking lot where this exhibit is located.
Old photograph of the Farmers Market from the back.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.