“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forestburgh in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Saint Josephs

Saint Josephs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tara Buckstad-Russo, July 20, 2012
1. Saint Josephs Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1886 by the Sisters of St. Dominc. Saint Josephs was established on property purchased from the estate of millionaire Thomas Hunt Talmadge. Through vision and sacrifice, the Sisters developed a community that included a convent, chapel, school, guest house, sanitarium, boys and girls camps, post office and a working farm. For forty years the estate house served as the summer home of Cardinal Hayes.
Erected by Town of Forestburgh.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 41° 35.402′ N, 74° 42.813′ W. Marker is in Forestburgh, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Lake Joseph Drive, 0.7 miles New York State Route 42. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 St Joseph's Road, Forestburgh NY 12777, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moore's Turning Mill and Saw Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ruddick Pond (approx. 2.1 miles away); Here Stood Gillman's Depot (approx. 2.2 miles away); Here Stood one of the Stage Coach Stations
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.4 miles away); Saint Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Agnes DeMille (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Town Hall Site (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forestburgh.
Regarding Saint Josephs. Cardinal Hayes summer home is now the Inn at Lake Joseph, a privately owned bed and breakfast nestled in the quiet of Forestburh.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2012, by Tara Buckstad-Russo of Forestburgh, New York. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 63 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 24, 2012, by Tara Buckstad-Russo of Forestburgh, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

Paid Advertisements

Jun. 29, 2022