Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Salem in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The White Creek Fort

 
 
The White Creek Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Virginia McGreevy, August 16, 2012
1. The White Creek Fort Marker
Inscription.  Erected as a Presbyterian Church in 1774 and converted to a fort early in the Revolution, Garrisoned by Charlotte County Militia under command of Col Joseph McCracken, it was starting point of many raids on the supply lines of Gen. Burgoyne during the invasion from the north. Destroyed by Tories and British in 1777.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 43° 10.355′ N, 73° 19.58′ W. Marker is in Salem, New York, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 153 and New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling east on County Route 153. The marker is located next to the Fort Theatre. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18- 22 East Broadway, Salem NY 12865, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old White Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1852 Rail Yard (about 800 feet away); General John Williams (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockaded Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lest We Forget
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Revolutionary Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rexleigh Covered Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); Home and Laboratory of Dr. Asa Fitch, Jr. (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
 
Additional keywords. Burgoyne Campaign, 1777
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2012, by Tom McGreevy of Averill Park, New York. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 10 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 17, 2012, by Tom McGreevy of Averill Park, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 29, 2020