Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cedarburg in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kaehlers Mill

Established 1847

 

— Town of Cedarburg Landmark —

 
Kaehlers Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, August 17, 2012
1. Kaehlers Mill Marker
Inscription.  At the intersection of present day Covered Bridge and Kaehlers Mill Roads was the hamlet of Kaehlers Mill. A flouring mill was established in about 1847 by Charles F. Uhlig. After going bankrupt, Uhlig's mother sold the west half of the northwest quarter of section 10 to J.H. Kaehler for $4,000. His son, Peter F. Kaehler (1838-1902) was a merchant in Port Washington having established a store there in 1859. It is said that he petitioned the legislature for permission to become a merchant before the legal age of 21. He moved his family to the property, building a sawmill there, furnishing lumber for many area projects, as well as being in town government and the county agricultural society. The hamlet was also home to a blacksmith shop, several mill cottages and a small store. The mills fell into disrepair after the Kaehler family moved to Chicago in the late 1880's following a very lengthy court battle over property taxes. The last traces of the mills disappeared in 1903 when the lumber and metal was salvaged and sold off. The only buildings remaining are the store which has since become a single-family residence and the blacksmith shop.
 
Erected by
Kaehlers Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, August 17, 2012
2. Kaehlers Mill Marker
Town of Cedarburg.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 43° 20.66′ N, 88° 0.259′ W. Marker is in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Kaehlers Mill Road and Covered Bridge Road, on the left when traveling west. The marker is on the side of the road, next to the river. There is a small turnout for one car to park. There is no address at this location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedarburg WI 53012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Last Covered Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Five Corners (approx. 1.6 miles away); Deckers Corners (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cedarburg Woolen Mill (approx. 3.1 miles away); Welcome to the Grafton Riverwalk (approx. 3.2 miles away); Paramount Records Legacy (approx. 3.2 miles away); Historic Cedarburg (approx. 3.2 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedarburg.
 
Kaehlers Mill & Covered Bridge Rds image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, August 17, 2012
3. Kaehlers Mill & Covered Bridge Rds
Historic Kaehlers Mill Map (Reverse Side of Marker) image. Click for full size.
By Devon Polzar, 2020
4. Historic Kaehlers Mill Map (Reverse Side of Marker)
1 - Anton Boehm stone home (c. 1870) (7925 Kaehlers Mill)
2 - Mill cottages (c. 1850) (demolished)
3 - General Store (c. 1870) (7557 Kaehlers Mill)
4 - Boehm saw mill (c. 1870) (demolished)
5 - Heinrich Krohn stone home (c. 1850?) and blacksmith shop (1990 Night Pasture)
6 - Peter Kaehler Grist mill (c. 1860) (demolished)
7 - Peter Kaehler frame home (c. 1870) (demolished)
8 - Frederick Kritzner home (c. 1870) (demolished)
9 - Posson home (c. 1870) (demolished)
10 - John Peter Schlax blacksmith shop (c. 1860) (demolished)
11 - Pleasant Valley octagon school dist. #7 (1868) (7025 Pleasant Valley)
Kaehlers Mill Marker Reverse Side image. Click for full size.
By Devon Polzar, 2020
5. Kaehlers Mill Marker Reverse Side
#3 - General Store (c. 1870) 7557 Kaelers Mill Rd. image. Click for full size.
By Devon Polzar, 2020
6. #3 - General Store (c. 1870) 7557 Kaelers Mill Rd.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States.   4, 5, 6. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 7, 2020