Looking for Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln and John Wood shared similar political views, Both were members of the Whig Party and were strongly allied against slavery. Lincoln and Wood worked to establish the Republican Party, and each campaigned for the other's cause during their political careers. Lincoln was a delegate at the 1856 Bloomington Convention, which launched the Republican Party in Illinois and led to Wood's nomination for Lieutenant Governor. In 1857 Lincoln and Wood helped finance publication of the Missouri Democrat, a Republican newspaper in St. Louis, thus promoting its circulation in downstate Illinois. John Wood was among the local Republican leaders who met with Horace Greeley, editor of the influential New York Tribune, who was in Quincy in December 1858 to give a speech. During this meeting Lincoln's name was put forth as a possible presidential candidate. Upon the death of Governor William H. Bissell in March 1860, Lieutenant Governor John Wood became Governor. On May 22, 1860, he invited Lincoln, then presidential candidate, "to take and use the (governor's office) at your pleasure." Lincoln used it
John Wood's stone octagonal mansion was created by Chicago architect John Van Osdel, designer of the Springfield governor's mansion. The house was constructed on the north side of State Street between 11th and 12th while Wood served as governor and during the Civil War. Costing well over $100,000, a princely sum for the time,it was regarded as one of the finest homes in Illinois. Wood sold it in 1875 and returned to his previous home, now preserved as the Governor John Wood Mansion.
John Wood, Quincy's founder, came west from Moravia, New York in 1818 and settled in the Illinois Military Tract. In 1822 he built a log cabin near the Mississippi River, becoming Quincy's first settler. Wood's many years as a civic and political leader included terms as mayor of Quincy, state senator, lieutenant governor, and governor, upon the death of William Bissell. Wood's friendship with Lincoln brought him an appointment as an Illinois delegate to the Peace Convention in Washington, D.C. in February 1861. Wood volunteered in the 1832 Black Hawk War and served as Quartermaster General of Illinois during the Civil War. Lincoln supported Wood by granting arms requests and by providing a mustering office in Springfield. Wood left Quincy in June 1864 as the head of the 137th Illinois Infantry, a "one hundred day volunteers"
unit and was soon given command of the Third Brigade.
Erected by State of Illinois Historic Preservation Agency & Looking for Lincoln Heritage Coalition.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, and the Looking for Lincoln series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1861.
Location. 39° 55.63′ N, 91° 23.783′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Illinois, in Adams County. Marker is on South 12th Street just north of State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 South 12th Street, Quincy IL 62301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Wood Mansion (here, next to this marker); Quincy's Early Environment (approx. half a mile away); Original Site of Quincy College (approx. half a mile away); R. F. Newcomb House (approx. half a mile away); Original Site of St. Peter Church (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln Recuperates (approx. half a mile away); World Trade Center Artifact (approx. half a mile away); Charles Henry Bull House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.