Near Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Tugalo Baptist Church and Cemetery
The church has been called “The Mother Church” of Baptist churches in this area. Cleveland was to become known as “The Father of Baptist Principles.” He and the Rev. Thomas Gilbert represented Tugalo River Church when the Tugalo Baptist Association was formed in 1818.
The land upon which the church stands was deeded to the church by Robert and Sarah (Wheeler) Craig July 28, 1895, and both the church and the cemetery have remained on their original site since its founding.
In the cemetery is the grave of Henry Fricks who lived his life during three centuries. He was born in 1799 and died in 1901.
This marker was erected by the Tugalo Baptist Church and Stephens County Historical Society in 1984.
Erected 1984 by Tugalo
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 28, 1895.
Location. 34° 35.113′ N, 83° 10.452′ W. Marker is near Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on East Silver Shoals Road, 0.2 miles east of Holly Springs Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2652 East Silver Shoals Road, Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Benjamin Cleveland Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away in South Carolina); Old Tugaloo Town (approx. 3.6 miles away); "Indian Rock" (approx. 4 miles away); Jarrett Manor (approx. 4 miles away); Traveler's Rest (approx. 4 miles away); Traveler's Rest State Historic Site (approx. 4 miles away); Slavery at Traveler's Rest (approx. 4 miles away); Historic Traveler's Rest (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 27, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.