Near Kennedy Meadows in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Original marker which went missing following the 2007 fire:
First settled in late 1800s by Thomas Kennedy and used as a rest stop by early travelers across the Sierras, Kennedy Meadows was taken over by Frank Kurzi as tent camp and pack station. Original hotel was built in early 1920s, was burned accidentally by U.S. Marine Corp troops in 1943. Present building rebuilt in summer 1944. Still standing and used as a gateway to the Emigrant Basin and High Sierras.
Replacement Marker Dedicated September 7, 2013:
Kennedy Meadows was first settled in late 1800's by Thomas Kennedy and used as a rest stop by early travelers across the Sierra. It was taken over by Frank Kurzi as a tent camp and pack station. The original hotel, built in the early 1900's, was accidentally burned down by U.S. Marine Corps troops in 1943, and it was rebuilt in the summer of 1944. A fire in Oct. 2007 reduced the iconic Kennedy Meadows Lodge, seven cabins and seven other buildings to a pile of ashes. The Bloom family, along with the help of the many friends and family of Kennedy Meadows, rebuilt and reopened the lodge seven
Erected 1984 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter 1849.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1943.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 18.675′ N, 119° 44.764′ W. Marker was near Kennedy Meadows, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker could be reached from Kennedy Meadows Road south of Sonora Pass Highway (California Highway 108). Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Pinecrest CA 95364, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Jewels of the High Country (within shouting distance of this marker); The Emigrants of 1852-1853 (within shouting distance of this marker); Following in their Footsteps - East Flange Rock (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hayes Station (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sonora Pass (approx. 6 miles away); Sonora Mono Toll Road (approx. 6 miles away); Route of the Bartleson-Bidwell Party - 1841 (approx. 9.9 miles away); The Last Battle (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennedy Meadows.
More about this marker. This marker was destroyed in the October 1, 2007 fire that burned down the Kennedy Meadows Resort Hotel.
Also see . . . Fire Destroys Historic Kennedy Meadows Lodge - California Fire News. According to Cal Fire officials an early morning fire destroyed the Kennedy Meadows lodge and Seven cabins on Monday.
The article also has photos of the Lodge before the fire, and the views of the distruction afterwards. (Submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.