Stockbridge in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Charles Butler, a prestigious New York attorney, built Linwood House in 1859. This graceful summer ‘cottage’ was constructed for his family and named for the home in a book titled The Linwoods, by Catherine Sedgwick, a relative.
Butter’s residence was among the first of the elegant summer homes that have come to be known as ‘Berkshire Cottages.’ Designed in 1885 by Stanford White, Choate’s Naumkeag can be seen across the Housatonic River valley. Linwood House was later passed down through the generations to Marguerite Butler Swann and her husband Percy Musgrave.
During his daily bicycle rides to this site from his home in Stockbridge center, Norman Rockwell became acquainted with the Musgrave family. He enjoyed the property’s beautiful vistas, but had no idea that it would one day provide the backdrop for a museum established in his honor. The structure of Linwood House remains as it was when Charles Butler lived here, but the building now houses the museum’s administrative offices and is not open to the public.
Location. 42° 17.331′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockbridge MA 01262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Day In The Life (within shouting distance of this marker); Norman Rockwell’s Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockbridge Chime Tower (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockbridge World War II Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockbridge Vietnam War Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockbridge World War I Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockbridge Korean War Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockbridge Civil War Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockbridge.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Linwood House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.