Ellis in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Settlers from Bukovina, Austria
In memory of the settlers from Bukovina, Austria who stepped off the train at this location. Beginning in 1886 the German speaking immigrants brought a strong Christian faith and work ethic to build a future for their families in the New World.
Dedicated on July 16, 1993
Erected 1993 by Bukovina Society of the Americas and James C. and Albert Wolf Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 56.29′ N, 99° 33.675′ W. Marker is in Ellis, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is on 9th Street near Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling west. Monument is in the park north of the railroad tracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellis KS 67637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ellis House (a few steps from this marker); Ellis' Original Main Street (a few steps from this marker); The Hickey Building (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial Praying John Horrigan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Grand Army Hall (about 400 feet away); History of The Walter P. Chrysler Boyhood Home (about 600 feet away).
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Ellis, Kansas. (Submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Bukovina Society of the Americas. (Submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.