Saint George in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Erastus Snow's Big House
Shortly after it was completed, Snow's wife Elizabeth (Libby) managed the "Big House" as a guest home for weary travelers. Nearly 80 visitors sat down to dinner here to celebrate Erastus' 50th birthday in 1868. Beginning in 1888, Snow's son Mahonri managed the "Big House" as a first class hotel for 25 years. In 1913, it was sold to Samuel Judd who continued the service but changed the name
St. George owes much of its establishment, growth and progress to Erastus Snow, whom people looked to for council and advice during his 27 years here. His "Big House" was known as the executive mansion of the Southern Utah Mission. It stood as a fine example of the craftsmanship and dedication of the early southern Utah pioneers.
Erected by Cotton Mission Chapter, Sons of Utah Pioneers with generous support of the Erastus Snow descendants.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 37° 6.564′ N, 113° 34.989′ W. Marker is in Saint George, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and St. George Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint George UT 84770, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Woodward School (here, next to this marker); St. George Temple (here, next to this marker); Gardeners’ Club Hall (a few steps from this marker); Dixie Academy (a few steps from this marker); St. George Tabernacle (a few steps from this marker); And the Desert Shall Blossom (a few steps from this marker); St. George Social Hall “Opera House” (a few steps from this marker); Brigham Young Home (within shouting distance of this marker).
Also see . . . Washington County Historical Society. In 1887, Erastus Snow began construction on a four-story, adobe home which later became known as the "Big House." The "Big House" was an uncommonly large dwelling which served as lodging for many of the guests which visited early St. George. (Submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.