Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sampson Opera House
Originally built in 1875, as a mansard-roofed commercial building, this structure housed stores, a saloon, and on its third and fourth floors, an “opera house” for stage productions. After a fire ten years later, the fourth floor was eliminated. Around the turn of the century, it became the editorial and printing offices of the KINGSTON DAILY FREEMAN, a use it fulfilled until 1974.
Erected by Kingston Urban Cultural Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 41° 55.073′ N, 73° 59.007′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located next to the gazebo on the Kingston water-front. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The West Strand (a few steps from this marker); The Rondout Creek Suspension Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Island Dock (within shouting distance Rondout (within shouting distance of this marker); New York State’s Heritage Area System (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware and Hudson Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); 20th New York State Militia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Navy Seabees (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
More about this marker. An engraving on the left side of the marker shows the Sampson’s Opera House as it appeared in the 19th century.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 514 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.