Belfast in Waldo County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Post Office Square / La place de la poste
— The Museum in the Streets —
The Post Office and Customs House was built in 1857. Until then offices were housed in various businesses around town. The building still has many original features, including ornate fireplaces and iron fireproof shutters. Post Office Square became a central gathering place for Fourth of July celebrations, orations and parades. The Crosby Inn, seen behind the Post Office, was built by a group of investors in 1889. On the bitterly cold night of January 4, 1896 the inn was destroyed by fire when the fire department was stymied by water pipes plugged by ice and mud. There were 65 sleeping rooms with all the "modern" improvements of the day.
Erected 2004 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately, and the The Museum in the Streets®: Belfast, Maine series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is January 4, 1896.
Location. 44° 25.524′ N, 69° 0.449′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belfast ME 04915, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downtown Main Street / La rue principale en centre-ville (here, next to this marker); Belfast, Maine (within shouting distance of this marker); The Opera House / L'Opéra (within shouting distance of this marker); Belfast City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville de Belfast (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Church (about 300 feet away); The Belfast Historical Society Museum (about 400 feet away); Main and High / Au carrefour de main et de high (about 400 feet away); The Silver Screen / Le septième art (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belfast.
More about this marker. Marker #12 (of 30) in "The Museum in the Streets". The text on the Marker is in English, followed by a French translation.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. 5. submitted on February 24, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Transcription of the French text • Can you help?