Belfast in Waldo County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Opera House / L'Opéra
— The Museum in the Streets —
Hayford Hall was built between 1866 and 1868 by Axel Hayford, a local contractor and businessman. It housed businesses on the lower level and a ballroom/theater with a balcony on the second level. Renamed the Belfast Opera House in 1883, it was the social center of Belfast. Entertainment included fancy dress balls, concerts, orators, amateur and professional theater, and public meetings. The first movies were shown here when the building was among the first in Belfast to add electric power (photo c. 1910).
Erected 2004 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Entertainment. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Belfast, Maine series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 44° 25.522′ N, 69° 0.425′ W. Marker is in Belfast, Maine, in Waldo County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Beaver Street, on the left on Church StreetTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belfast ME 04915, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belfast, Maine (a few steps from this marker); Post Office Square / La place de la poste (within shouting distance of this marker); Downtown Main Street / La rue principale en centre-ville (within shouting distance of this marker); First Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Belfast City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville de Belfast (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Windsor Hotel / L'Hôtel Windsor (about 400 feet away); Main and High / Au carrefour de main et de high (about 400 feet away); The Silver Screen / Le septième art (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belfast.
More about this marker. Marker #14 (of 30) in "The Museum in the Streets". The text on the Marker is in English, followed by a French translation.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Transcription of the French text • Can you help?