Belfast in Waldo County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Stylish Lodging / Une résidence chic
— The Museum in the Streets —
The Thomas Whittier house was built in 1803 as both a house and tavern. It was long considered the finest inn in eastern Maine, popular for drinking, dining and dancing. Famous for the abundant produce from her gardens, Whittier's wife was known as "Lady Bountiful." At the close of the War of 1812, the Whittier Tavern was the site of a grand ball hosted by the British general whose troops had occupied Belfast. In 1839, the building was purchased by Judge Alfred Johnson as his home. For the next 117 years the house was known to generations of the Johnson family as "The Homestead."
Erected 2004 by The Belfast Historical Society and Museum, Inc., The City of Belfast, and the Belfast Community. (Marker Number 18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Belfast, Maine series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
Location. 44° 25.638′ N, 69° 0.616′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belfast ME 04915, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Mayor / Le premier maire (within shouting distance of this marker); The Belfast Historical Society Museum (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Silver Screen / Le septième art (about 700 feet away); Belfast City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville de Belfast (about 800 feet away); Main and High / Au carrefour de main et de high (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post Office Square / La place de la poste (approx. 0.2 miles away); Downtown Main Street / La rue principale en centre-ville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belfast, Maine (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belfast.
More about this marker. Marker #18 (of 30) in "The Museum in the Streets". The text on the Marker is in English, followed by a French translation.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Transcription of the French text • Can you help?