Belfast in Waldo County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The First Mayor / Le premier maire
— The Museum in the Streets —
Ralph Cross Johnson built this house just as the War of 1812 was beginning. He and his brother, Judge Alfred Johnson, were active in all manner of Belfast's businesses and politics. Ralph Johnson was a representative in Maine's first legislature and later served as Belfast's first mayor in 1853. Alfred Johnson's granddaughter, Louise, married Belfast native Admiral William V. Pratt, who served as Chief of Naval Operations from 1930-1933. The family used the house as a summer retreat, well into the 20th century (photo c. 1900).
Erected 2004 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Belfast, Maine series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 44° 25.649′ N, 69° 0.632′ W. Marker is in Belfast, Maine, in Waldo County. Marker is on High Street just south of Primrose Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stylish Lodging / Une résidence chic (within shouting distance of this marker); The Belfast Historical Society Museum (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Silver Screen / Le septième art (about 800 feet away); Belfast City Hall / L'Hôtel de Ville de Belfast (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main and High / Au carrefour de main et de high (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post Office Square / La place de la poste (approx. 0.2 miles away); Downtown Main Street / La rue principale en centre-ville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belfast, Maine (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belfast.
More about this marker. Marker #19 (of 30) in "The Museum in the Streets". The text on the Marker is in English, followed by a French translation.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Transcription of the French text • Can you help?