Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First step toward local government was taken when Stephen F. Austin and the Baron de Bastrop met (1824) with colonists at the house of William Scott, Midway, to explain colonization laws. Harrisburg, a town by 1826, was one of the original and most influential colonial municipalities, with a major role in Texas War for Independence, which won freedom in 1836.
The county of Harrisburg (later Harris) was created Dec. 30, 1836. The capital of the Texas Republic was within its boundaries for several years. In the Civil War, it was a command and ordnance center (1863-65),
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10677.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 45.686′ N, 95° 21.547′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Congress Street and San Jacinto Street, on the right when traveling west on Congress Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1115 Congress St, Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founding of Harris County (within shouting distance of this marker); Harris County 1910 Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pillot Building (about 300 feet away); Houston Bar Association (about 300 feet away); Republic Building (about 500 feet away); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 600 feet away); Site of General Sam Houston House (about 700 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . .
1. Harris County Website. (Submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Harris County, Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.