Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near New Geneva in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Glassworks

 
 
Old Glassworks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 22, 2012
1. Old Glassworks Marker
Inscription.  Half a mile east of here, 1794-1797, the first glass factory west of the Alleghenies was founded by Albert Gallatin, Secretary of the Treasury under Thomas Jefferson. He was aided by skillful glassworkers from the Amelung factory -- Kramer, Gabler, Eberhart, Reppert, and Reitz. Factory closed in 1807.
 
Erected 1955 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
 
Location. 39° 46.788′ N, 79° 55.213′ W. Marker is near New Geneva, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker is on New Geneva Road (Pennsylvania Route 166), on the right when traveling south. Located directly across from the Albert Gallatin High School. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Geneva PA 15467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friendship Hill Trail System (approx. half a mile away); Albert Gallatin
Old Glassworks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 22, 2012
2. Old Glassworks Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Friendship Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stone Cistern (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sophia Allegre Gallatin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Preserving the 1910 Landscape (approx. 0.7 miles away); Monongahela River (approx. 0.7 miles away); Potters Park (approx. 0.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=59680

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 24, 2022