Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Costa Mesa in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c)

 
 
Chapman Billiard Parlor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, September 29, 2012
1. Chapman Billiard Parlor Marker
Inscription.  
Costa Mesa Historical Site
Costa Mesa

Chapman
Billiard Parlor
1928(c)

 
Erected 2009 by City of Costa Mesa, Historical Preservation Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 33° 38.486′ N, 117° 55.1′ W. Marker is in Costa Mesa, California, in Orange County. Marker is on Newport Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in sidewalk in front of Goat Hill Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1830 Newport Boulevard, Costa Mesa CA 92627, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Braddy's Barber Shoppe 1921(c) (here, next to this marker); Mesa Tavern 1928(c) (a few steps from this marker); Costa Mesa Garage 1922(c) (a few steps from this marker); Pennant Bakery 1925(c) (a few steps from this marker); Mesa Cleaners 1926(c) (a few steps from this marker); Alpha Beta Store 1924(c)
Goat Hill Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, September 29, 2012
2. Goat Hill Tavern
(a few steps from this marker); Middaugh Shoes 1929(c) (within shouting distance of this marker); Pink's Drugs 1933(c) (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Costa Mesa.
 
Also see . . .  Costa Mesa Walk of History Revealed. Chapman Billiard Parlor (1928-1933). After a shady beginning, a newspaper article reported that the new owner "plans changes and improvements" that will give the public a clean pool room where "the men and boys of the community may enjoy the game under pleasant conditions." Women were allowed to play in 1930. The parlor was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake. (Submitted on September 29, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 4, 2020