Clayton in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Joel Clayton House
Clayton Historical Museum
After his death in 1872 the land was sold and the house had various uses. The Clayton Historical Society acquired it and in 1976 moved it to Main Street, joining it to a house of similar vintage brought from Oak Street.
The Clayton Historical Museum was a Bicentennial project, dedicated December 10, 1978.
Erected 2002 by Clayton Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 56.481′ N, 121° 56.092′ W. Marker is in Clayton, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Main Street near Morris Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6101 Main Street, Clayton CA 94517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joaquin Murrieta (here, next to this marker); The Growler Saloon – Goethals Building (a few steps from this marker); The Clayton Club (within The Eucalyptus Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clayton Cash Store (about 400 feet away); The Clayton Post Office (about 400 feet away); Black Diamond Way (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
Regarding The Joel Clayton House. From the Clayton Museum Brochure
Joel Henry Clayton was born in Bugsworth, Derbyshire, England, now called Buxworth, in 1812. He came to America in 1837, and was a true pioneer of the West.
He was a mining engineer, trader, prospector, farmer, community developer, and entrepreneur. He first saw what is now Clayton Valley in 1843. In 1853, he bought land and in 1857, began developing his new town of Clayton. Joel died in March 1872, of “quick pneumonia” after exposure in a chilling storm.
1. Joel Clayton House Museum
From the museum brochure:
The main museum building is believed to have been Joel's second home in Clayton. It was built in
Around 1912, the house was moved to the north side of Mt. Diablo Creek and the Keller family used it as a bunkhouse on their rance. It was presented to the Clayton Historical Society in 1975, and moved to its present location in 1976.
— Submitted October 1, 2012.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 1, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.