Mauldin in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This area was settled soon after the Revolution, and a community grew up here on the road from Greenville to Laurens. It was later known as Butler’s Crossroads for Willis W. Butler, who acquired a tract including the intersection of the Laurens and Reedy River roads in 1853. This community became a town after the Greenville & Laurens Railroad completed its line here in 1885 and built a frame passenger and freight depot 1/4 mi. N on Jenkins Street in 1886.
The new town was named for Lt. Gov. William L. Mauldin (1845-1912), president of the Greenville & Laurens Railroad 1881-85, state representative and senator, and lt. governor 1886-1890. Mauldin was first chartered in 1890, with its limits a half-mile radius from the depot. The depot was torn down in 1953. Two historic stores of note are the John S. Hill Store (ca. 1906), 1/4 mi. E on Main Street, and Massey’s General Store (1931), at Main Street and White Drive.
Erected 2011 by City of Mauldin and the Greenville County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 23-46.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Greenville County Historic Preservation Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 34° 46.8′ N, 82° 18.317′ W. Marker is in Mauldin, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on City Century Drive, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 City Century Drive, Mauldin SC 29662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The History of the Gosnell Cabin (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mauldin United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Laurel Creek Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bethel Community Training Ground (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Old Oak Tree (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bethel Church Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Old Arbor (approx. 1.9 miles away); Reedy River Factory (approx. 2˝ miles away); Lake Conestee in Transition (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mauldin.
Also see . . .
1. Greenville and Laurens Railroad. The Greenville and Laurens Railroad was a railroad (Submitted on October 15, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. McDaniel Cemetery. Located on Finley Court in Knollwood sits the oldest cemetery in Mauldin. It is the final resting place of Benjamin Griffith Sr., the first known settler in the area in 1784. (Submitted on February 11, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.