El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The simple box-shaped building is noted by a decorative wood cornice that can still be seen above the remodeled storefront. There was a wood sidewalk covered by a shed roof and a hitching post for horses. Originally, the building housed a drug store and bookstore. This address has been in continuous use since 1882, making it the oldest commercial structure in the city of El Paso.
El edificio sencillo en forma de caja es notable por una cornisa decorativa de madera que aun se puede apreciar encima de la fachada remodelada. Existía una banqueta de madera cubierta por un tejavan y un poste para amarrar caballos. Originalmente, el edificio servío (sic, servió) de botica y librería. El edificio se ha utilizado de manera continua desde 1882, haciéndolo la más antigua estructura comercial en la ciudad de El Paso.
Erected by El Paso County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 31° 45.425′ N, 106° 29.32′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is at the intersection of South El Paso Street and East Overland Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South El Paso Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 South El Paso Street, El Paso TX 79901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stage Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Paso Del Norte (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A City Is Born (about 300 feet away); La Patria Newspaper (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Plaza (about 500 feet away); El Paso (about 500 feet away); Fray García de San Francisco (about 500 feet away); The First Kindergarten in Texas (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.