Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clayton in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Miller – Martin Townhouse

 
 
Miller – Martin Townhouse Marker, front image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 16, 2012
1. Miller – Martin Townhouse Marker, front
Inscription.  John H. Miller built this Gothic Revival townhouse in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830s, settling in an area which would become known as the Tabernacle community. He later purchased a tract of land in Clayton on which this house was constructed. It is noteworthy for the handpainted murals on the entrance hall ceiling which depict The Four Seasons as well as other designs on the parlor and dining room ceilings. This work has been attributed to an artist named Massillon. The townhouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in December 1974.

John Council and Alice Floyd Martin purchased the home in 1915 and reared their four daughters, Mildred, Alice, Jonnie and Leila there. The property was inherited by daughter, Alice Martin Anderson in 1964. Her daughter, Ann Floyd Martin Miller donated the property to the Clayton Historical Preservation Authority in 1983. In 1998, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sewell purchased an extensively renovated the townhouse.
 
Erected 1999 by Charles and Wanda Sewell and the Historic Chattahoochee
Miller – Martin Townhouse Marker, back image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 16, 2012
2. Miller – Martin Townhouse Marker, back
Click or scan to see
this page online
Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1974.
 
Location. 31° 52.503′ N, 85° 27.129′ W. Marker is in Clayton, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on West Louisville Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton AL 36016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Loving Memory of the Clayton Soldiers of the World War (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jere Locke Beasley (approx. ¼ mile away); History of Clayton, Alabama/Clayton’s Architectural Heritage (approx. ¼ mile away); Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners (approx. ¼ mile away); Octagon House (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Corley Wallace, Lurleen Burns Wallace Governors of Alabama (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
 
The Miller – Martin Townhouse image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 16, 2012
3. The Miller – Martin Townhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 827 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60755

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2021