Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midway in Bullock County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Midway Baptist Church

Organized July 28, 1852

 
 
Midway Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
1. Midway Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Midway, a part of Barbour County in the mid-19th century, was also known as Five Points, a small community of a handful of dwellings, two stores, and a Methodist church of logs. In this Methodist church, Joel Willis, J.M. Thornton, Robert G. Hall, M.B. Johnston, W.J. Coleman, and Lorenzo Faulk met in the summer of 1852 to organize the Baptist Church of Five Points. Articles of Faith and Decorum were approved August 31 and Joel Sims was called as the first pastor. By April 1855, the Five points church was being referred to in its own records as the Baptist Church of Midway.

The southwest corner of Feagin’s field was selected as a building site in December 1852 and, in February 1853, a frame structure with glass windows, but no steeple, was dedicated. A steeple and bell were added to the building in 1859 and gas lamps replaced candles in 1869. In 1872 the Church was rebuilt with the original materials at hand. Renovations in 1902 and 1930 added stained glass windows. Sunday School rooms, restrooms, and a kitchen but the structure has retained some of its original building materials and rests upon its original site.

The Church has

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
been actively associated with other congregations since its beginnings in the Salem Association of Barbour County to the Bullock Centennial Association of the present. It has been associated with the Baptist State Convention and the Southern Baptist Convention since early in its history.
 
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1853.
 
Location. 32° 4.827′ N, 85° 31.125′ W. Marker is in Midway, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway AL 36053, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jefferson Davis Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James C.M.E. Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Missionary Church 1875 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Town of Midway (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Merritt School Midway Community Center (approx. ¾ mile away); Three Notch Road (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ramah Baptist Church & Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midway.
Midway Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
2. Midway Baptist Church Marker
 
Midway Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
3. Midway Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 861 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60908

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024