Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Croom in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Nottingham

 
 
Nottingham Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 9, 2011
1. Nottingham Marker
Inscription.  A port town with a population of 1500. During the Revolution the British camped here on August 21, 1814 on their march to Washington.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1500.
 
Location. 38° 42.561′ N, 76° 42.274′ W. Marker is near Croom, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Nottingham Road and Tanyard Road on Nottingham Road. In the triangle at the intersection of Tanyard Road, Nottingham Road, and Watershed Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Changing Guard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Nottingham Schoolhouse (about 600 feet away); The Town of Nottingham (about 600 feet away); The War of 1812 (about 600 feet away); Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary (approx. 1.3 miles away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 1.7 miles away); Smithville United Methodist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Woodland Indian Villages on the Patuxent River (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Croom.
 
More about this marker. This marker is quite wrong. It was during the War of 1812 that the British established a camp here between August 21 and August 29, 1814 as a rear guard camp on the march to Washington. British naval ships anchored here in support of Ross's attack on Washington which resulted after the disastrous Battle of Bladensburg in the burning of the Capitol and the White House. Earlier in 1814 this was the base of operations for the U.S. Chesapeake Flotilla under Joshua Barney.
 
Additional commentary.
Nottingham Marker at Nottingham Road, Tanyard Road and Watershed Drive image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 9, 2011
2. Nottingham Marker at Nottingham Road, Tanyard Road and Watershed Drive
Click or scan to see
this page online

1.
The town of Nottingham has completely disappeared. A few river side houses occupy the site.
    — Submitted November 22, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
 
Nottingham Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, August 20, 2013
3. Nottingham Marker
A view of the intersection where the marker is located as you approach from Tanyard Road.
Bullet riddled sign on Croom Road (MD 382) pointing to Nottingham image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 9, 2011
4. Bullet riddled sign on Croom Road (MD 382) pointing to Nottingham
Town of Nottingham 1878 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne
5. Town of Nottingham 1878
From Hodgkin's 1878 Atlas of Washington D.C. and Prince Georges County Maryland
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3. submitted on August 24, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   4. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on December 3, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61291

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021