Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Camp Fannin, Texas
Encompassing over 150,000 acres of land, the main post was located immediately north and west of this site on 2,000 acres of land purchased from local landowners. An additional 13,000 acres was leased from area landowners and returned to them at the end of the war.
On April 17, 1948, the U.S. Government deeded 600 acres of land to the State of Texas on which the 1,000 bed station Hospital was located, for the express purpose of opening a tuberculosis sanatorium. The land is now occupied by the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler. The placement of the Veterans Memorial on this site is most appropriate, as the hospital is the last remaining major installation of the camp.
The memorial is a permanent
Camp Fannin Association and The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler appreciate the support of all those who have helped make this memorial a reality.
The Camp Fannin Association Ladies Auxiliary
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, World II.
Location. 32° 25.504′ N, 95° 12.567′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Memorial is on University Drive / Clinic Boulevard near U.S. 271, on the right when traveling west. Located at the University of Texas Health Center .3 miles north of US 271,State Road 155. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Land - Our Heritage (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Fannin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Fannin Internment Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Scouts of Texas ArmyShamburger Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Pine Springs Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association - Camp Fannin,. an infantry-replacement training center of World War II, was located ten miles northeast of Tyler. The reservation was a wooded, hilly site of more than 14,000 acres.... (Submitted on December 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 761 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 11, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.