Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ancient Order of Pilgrims
By 1926, with about 60 sanctuaries, the order chose to build a headquarters and office building in Houston. Officers hired noted architect Alfred C. Finn. Located at Bagby Street and West Dallas Avenue, the four-story, brick Pilgrim Temple Building was triangular in shape and featured elaborate finishes and a rooftop garden. In addition to the order's headquarters, it housed the Houston Negro Chamber of Commerce, O.K. Manning and Roscoe Cavitt, executive secretaries; Madame N.A. Franklin Beauty School, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Jemison, proprietors; the Houston Defender newspaper,
The Ancient Order folded in 1931 but was revived as the Progressive Order of Pilgrims in 1932 by G.A. Kennedy. In the early 1960s, the group sold the building, later razed. Business owners who once occupied it now work to preserve its memory as a historic site.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13313.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 29° 45.579′ N, 95° 22.306′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Lamar Street, 0.1 miles west of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sons of the Republic of Texas (here, next to this marker); Alexander Hodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Nichols-Rice-Cherry House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kellum-Noble HouseSam Houston Park (about 300 feet away); The Spirit of the Confederacy (about 300 feet away); Houston City, Republic of Texas (about 500 feet away); Site of the National Women's Conference (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . . Pilgrim Temple. (Submitted on January 2, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 2, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.