Upton in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sharp Street Memorial Church
The church quickly became a center of the black community. There people gathered not only to worship, but also to discuss the abolitionist and African colonization movements, to raise money to purchase the freedom of slaves, to hear their advocates speak, and to receive schooling.
In 1846, the church hosted the first regional conference for black methodists, which resulted in the first appointment of black pastors and the creation of a black governing board. From 1867 until 1872, the Centenary Biblical Institute (now Morgan State University) held classes there.
Following its congregation into northwest Baltimore, the church erected the
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Democratic Women, sponsor, Sharp Street Church, sponsor and William Donald Schaefer, Mayor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓, and the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers series lists.
Location. 39° 18.045′ N, 76° 37.696′ W. Marker is in Upton in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Dolphin Street and Etting Street, on the right when traveling south on Dolphin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1206 Etting Street, Baltimore MD 21217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Foundation on Which to Build a Community (a few steps from this marker); Courting Justice (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (about 500 feet away); Henry Highland Garnett School (about 600 feet away); Rev. Dr. Vernon Nathaniel Dodson MemorialAfrican American Politicians (about 800 feet away); Henry Highland Garnet Park (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upton.
More about this marker. The marker features an illustration of the old church, dated 1860.
Also see . . .
1. Description from the Maryland Historical Trust. Details the history of this National Register of Historic Places listed property. (Submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Church website. (Submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,585 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.